Blue is a much-maligned color. It’s associated with sadness, but it’s also the color of water, which is the foundation of life! And blue is the Pantone Color of the Year for 2020…Pantone 19-4052 Classic Blue to be exact.
If there are people who know about color, it’s the folks at Pantone. It’s the industry standard in color matching for printing, design, fashion, marketing, advertising, packaging and many other industries.
Pantone describes 19-4052 Classic Blue as “Instilling calm, confidence, and connection, this enduring blue hue highlights our desire for a dependable and stable foundation on which to build as we cross the threshold into a new era.”
That’s a lot of responsibility for a color!
Blue is also important in so many other ways:
- It is one of the three primary colors along with red and yellow which are the basis of all colors.
- If you’re a designer who works on a computer, RGB (Red, Green, Blue) is a common acronym representing the primary colors of light that pass through electronics such as computers and televisions.
- Elvis said he’d have a Blue Christmas without you and got pretty excited over his Blue Suede Shoes.
- Jay-Z and Beyoncé named their daughter Blue.
- Some logos, such as IBM and Ford, are famous blue logos that are associated with generally hard and cold materials like the steel of a car or a computer, but Chase Bank and PayPal are also blue logos, and those are associated with money.
- Facebook and Twitter, two of the most widely used apps in the world, are blue as well. As Pantone says about Classic Blue, it’s about “connection.”
- Pabst Blue Ribbon has the word “Blue” right in the name.
- Burger King added a blue swoosh to their red and orange logo a few years ago and it really enhanced the design.
- PMG-designed client work such as Ambassador Education Solutions, Massapequa Takes Action Coalition, DiCarlo Food Service, amongst many others, all use blue as a primary color.
So let’s raise a glass to Pantone 19-4052 Classic Blue – may it bring us calmness, confidence and connection for 2020.
Check out 19-4052 Classic Blue at the Pantone Website:https://www.pantone.com/…/color…/color-of-the-year-2020
Connect with PMG: