On September 15, 1997, Larry Page and Sergey Brin, PhD registered the domain name ‘google.com,’ deciding on the name Google as a misspelling of the word ‘googol’ which is the number 1 with 100 zeros after it, demonstrating that the information on the internet is enormous. Almost a year later, on September 7, 1998, Google filed for incorporation and opened for business, receiving about 10,000 queries each day. Today, the search engine is widely estimated to receive about 5.6 billion search queries each day!
Google has not only changed how we search the internet, but also how we use email (Gmail), how we get around (Google Maps), how we use the internet (Google Chrome), how we store files (Google Drive), how we collaborate (Google Docs), how we advertise (Google Ads and Google Adsense) and how we speak (just Google it!). To celebrate this day and the incredible impact that Google has made on our everyday lives, here are five interesting Google trends, courtesy of trends.google.com, for 2021.
- The top five overall searches in 2021 were NBA, DMX, Gabby Petito, Kyle Rittenhouse and Brian Laundrie.
- The top five movies searched in 2021 were Black Widow, Eternals, Halloween Kills, Mortal Kombat and Dune.
- The top five memes searched in 2021 were Bernie Sanders’ mittens, Hamster, Twisted tea, Squid Game and Sheesh.
- The top five recipes searched in 2021 were TikTok pasta, Bacon jam, Birria tacos, Crockpot chicken and Hamantaschen.
- The top five sports teams searched in 2021 were Boston Red Sox, Los Angeles Lakers, Milwaukee Bucks, Phoenix Suns and Atlanta Braves.
Connect with PMG: