It seems that the sandwich comprised of peanut butter and marshmallow fluff didn’t have a place in the Merriam-Webster dictionary until October 2021! The fluffernutter is a childhood favorite and has been a popular PMG snack break for those in the office for many years. It just goes to show how casual language evolves much more quickly than the official dictionary.
What other words and definitions were added to the dictionary last month? Some are surprising!
- Online culture words: TBH, amirite, FTW
- COVID-19 words: super-spreader, long COVID, vaccine passport
- Tech and science words: copypasta, Oobleck
- Food words: horchata, air fryer, ghost kitchen
- Medical words: fourth trimester, titer
- Pop culture words: faux-hawk, dad bod
Check out the entire list of October 2021 Miriam-Webster additions – https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/new-words-in-the-dictionary
What words do you think should be added next?
Connect with PMG: