Today is a special day for all left handed people to rejoice! No one has come up with a definitive reason for why some people are left handed, but about 10% of the people around the world are, and it is likely passed through genetics. In the past, left handedness has been associated with weakness, impurity or evil. Today, few would consider left handers as evil or weak, but they still have to endure some of the inconveniences of a right handed world! Whether your dominant hand is right or left, or if you can use both equally well, let’s give a shout out to the special 10% of the population and enjoy these fun left hander facts:
- Most left handers draw figures facing to the right.
- There is a high tendency in twins for one to be left handed.
- Left handers adjust more readily to seeing underwater.
- Left handers excel particularly in tennis, baseball, swimming and fencing.
- 4 of the 5 original designers of the Macintosh computer were left handed.
- 1 in 4 Apollo astronauts were left handed.
- At least 4 of the past 7 presidents have been left handed: Barack Obama, Bill Clinton, George H.W. Bush and Gerald Ford.
- Over one-third of current PMGers are left handed. That explains why we have such dynamic, creative thinking!
Connect with PMG: